Friday, July 6, 2012

Don't judge... love instead.

This blog entry is a little bit off-topic from what I normally write about, but the mood struck me. So I wrote it. I don't require anyone to read it. To be honest, posting these types of entries scare me. I've got several drafts that I just haven't had the courage to post. I guess I'm feeling courageous today. As the saying goes, "Do one thing every day that scares you." Well, maybe this is my one thing today.

Sometimes people say “don’t be judgmental.”  And some confidently spout out, “I don’t judge.” I’m guilty of this myself. But if you’ve ever had an opinion about anyone, you are judging them in some way, aren't you? It might be small, but I think it’s still judging. So let’s face it, we all do it. It’s human nature. It’s God’s job to judge, not ours. Yet we still do it. It’s just us being imperfect humans. It’s humbling to just think about that sometimes. We can try all we want to be perfect. We can try all we want to not judge or not sin. But we do. And we will. We are human.

I think the best thing to do is just love everybody. No matter how much they ‘bug’ you or no matter what they do to you. Love them. And all you can do is hope they would do the same with you. It’s the golden rule. Treat others as you’d like to be treated. Nobody wants to be left out. Nobody wants to be picked on. Nobody wants rumors spread about them or to be talked about in a negative way. Nobody wants to hear someone say, “I don’t like you.” It is possible to not see eye-to-eye with someone and still love them.

So let’s just stop the crazy and try to always love instead. As best we can, anyway. As I said before, we’re human and none of us are perfect. We can’t all love all the time, but we can try… and it might be easier to try to love everyone than to never judge or never sin.

Next time you find yourself thinking negatively about someone, or judging them, big or small, quietly in your own mind our outwardly to someone else… stop for a second and just think, “they have the same types of feelings as I do. I can respect that and love them for what they love themselves for,” or whatever little saying you can come up with in your mind to remember that there are many more wonderful things in life.

Just LOVE.

Disclaimer: This is a random rambling by me. Take it for what it’s worth. If you don’t agree, that’s okay. Just remember to not judge me for it. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having the courage to post these beautiful words of wisdom. We hear it so often "Don't judge", yet we do it more often than not. It's embedded in our culture, all the reality shows teach us how to judge. A priest was once talking about Mother Theresa and he said that the one thing Mother Theresa never had to confess was that she judged. She was a great example of a human being who loved and refrained judging others. Again thank you for your post and hope the see more.